Squadron History

The Squadron was formed early in 1941 and based its headquarters at the High Street School in Harborne. The first Commanding Officer was Flt Lt A H Dutton RAFVR(T). His Adjutant was Fg Off K Jackson RAFVR(T).    When the time came for reorganization of the units in the Wing the Squadron was amalgamated with No 486 (Quinton) Squadron and was re-designated as No 485 (Harborne & Quinton) Squadron. In 1962 the Squadron moved to the TA Centre, at Tennal Grange, Tennal Road, Harborne.

In later years the Squadron secured the services of an excellent radio officer in WO P Short and it was only natural that they should become heavily involved in Radio. They still have an extremely good communication `set-up' as well as a new Flight simulator, which has replaced the old simulator of a Canberra.

Unit activities included the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme, sport in which they have several `Blues' at both Wing and Regional level and shooting. They won the Collins Trophy three years running - 1988 to 1990. Support was always given to the local community, helping the Central Branch of the Royal Air Forces Association and the Royal British Legion. They have also taken part in a sponsored twenty four hour drill competition to raise money for charity.
During 1990 they helped the local police to clean the War Memorial in Harborne as part of this community support.

The present accommodation comprises a `Spooner' hut for administration and classroom work which was extended in May 2001, now also contains the radio room and simulator room. In the main building there is a wooden propeller (origin unknown) and a plaque dedicated to the memory of past members of Nos 485 and 486 Squadrons who gave their lives in the Second World War.

There is a further plaque dedicated to the memory of a former cadet CWO Mark Drewell. He was killed in a car accident in 1986 when serving with the Royal Air Force Regiment.

In September 2015 the squadron replaced its aged minibus with the support from the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust, the civilian committee, submitted a bid to the charity for funding a new minibus to help provide ongoing transportation for cadet activities. In May 2015 we were visited by a RAFCT trustee, Mr. Smith. The trust later approved a grant towards a nearly new bus, which was purchased and delivered in the September 2015.


The motto of the Squadron is "Non Sine Pulvere Palma, which translated means :-

"No success without effort"

1941-1965 Flt Lt A. H. Dutton RAFVR(T) ,

1965-1968 Flt Lt W. Ogborne RAFVR(T) ,

1968-1969 Flt Lt J. Muldoon RAFVR(T) ,

1969-1976 Flt Lt K. Blunn RAFVR(T) ,

1976-1979 Flt Lt B. Barnes RAFVR(T) ,

1979-1983 Flt Lt P. G. Clarke RAFVR(T) ,

1983-1996 Flt Lt A. Healey RAFVR(T) ,

1996-2001 Flt Lt C. G. Bell RAFVR(T) ,

2001- 2004 Flt Lt P. Smith RAFVR(T),

2004 -  May 2011 Flt Lt P. Coates RAFVR(T).

May 2011 - Aug 2013 Flt Lt S. Jennings RAFVR(T),

Sept 2013 - Dec 2015 WO R. Coates ATC

Present Officer Commanding (OC) Jan 2016 - Present  Flt Lt. K. Aldridge RAFVR(T),